Please Help My Faith!
19 May 2019, 11:15
A. A man’s son has a demon.
• Mark 9:17-18 17And someone from the crowd answered him, “Teacher, I brought my son to you, for he has a spirit that makes him mute. 18And whenever it seizes him, it throws him down, and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid. So I asked your disciples to cast it out, and they were not able.”
1. The disciples have already tried to deliver the boy, but were unable.
• Mark 9:18b …So I asked your disciples to cast it out, and they were not able.”
2. Jesus makes a complaint.
• Mark 9:19 And he answered them, “O faithless generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him to me.”
• Faithless = without faith.
3. Jesus sees for Himself.
• Mark 9:20-22 20And they brought the boy to him. And when the spirit saw him, immediately it convulsed the boy, and he fell on the ground and rolled about, foaming at the mouth. 21And Jesus asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” And he said, “From childhood. 22And it has often cast him into fire and into water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” In asking for help, the boy’s father wants Jesus to do it all.
4. Jesus returns the same words back to him.
• Mark 9:23 And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.”
• Faith makes all things possible
• There’s a gap between the faith we have and the faith we need.
5. The father asks for help.
• Mark 9:24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!”
6. Jesus casts out the demon.
• Mark 9:25-27 25And when Jesus saw that a crowd came running together, he rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “You mute and deaf spirit, I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.” 26And after crying out and convulsing him terribly, it came out, and the boy was like a corpse, so that most of them said, “He is dead.” 27But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he arose.
B. The disciples want an explanation.
• Mark 9:28 And when he had entered the house, his disciples asked him privately, “Why could we not cast it out?”
1. The disciples already had authority to cast out demons.
• Mark 3:14-15 14And he appointed twelve (whom he also named apostles) so that …he might send them out to preach 15and have authority to cast out demons.
• Mark 6:13 And they cast out many demons and anointed with oil many who were sick and healed them.
2. Faith for all things being possible comes from prayer.
• Mark 9:29 And he said to them, “This kind cannot be driven out by anything but prayer.”
Jesus’ Love, Chuck