Faith For Results
10 March 2019, 11:15
A. The Woman with the issue of blood
The story starts with a woman who has been suffering many years.
• Luke 8:43 And there was a woman who had had a discharge of blood for twelve years, and though she had spent all her living on physicians, she could not be healed by anyone.
A woman was considered unclean during menstruation.
Lev. 15:19 When a woman has a discharge, and the discharge in her body is blood, she shall be in her menstrual impurity for seven days, and whoever touches her shall be unclean until the evening.
Doctors had not helped.
Mark 5:26 [she] had suffered much under many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was no better but rather grew worse.
Faith starts with a hope that grows into an expectation.
• Matt. 9:21 for she said to herself, “If I only touch his garment, I will be made well.”
She followed through on her hope.
• Luke 8:44 She came up behind him and touched the fringe of his garment, and immediately her discharge of blood ceased.
The fringe of the garment was the tzitzit [ציצית]; the tassels every Jewish man wore on their garments.
Num. 15:38 Speak to the people of Israel, and tell them to make tassels on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and to put a cord of blue on the tassel of each corner.
There was a messianic prophecy that inspires her faith.
Mal. 4:2 But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall.
Jesus asks who touched Him.
• Luke 8:45 And Jesus said, “Who was it that touched me?” When all denied it, Peter said, “Master, the crowds surround you and are pressing in on you!”
Many are touching Jesus, but they are not receiving their miracle.
Jesus has not touched her intentionally.
Luke 8:46 But Jesus said, “Someone touched me, for I perceive that power has gone out from me.”
She appropriated the power through faith.
Luke 8:47-48 47And when the woman saw that she was not hidden, she came trembling, and falling down before him declared in the presence of all the people why she had touched him, and how she had been immediately healed. 48And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace.”
You and me.
Our faith is in God’s faithfulness.
• Heb. 11:11 By faith Sarah herself received power to conceive, even when she was past the age, since she considered him faithful who had promised.
Faith will serve as an encouragement to others.
• Mark 6:56 And wherever he came, in villages, cities, or countryside, they laid the sick in the marketplaces and implored him that they might touch even the fringe of his garment. And as many as touched it were made well.
Jesus’ Love, Chuck