The Compulsion Of Love
30 June 2019, 11:15
SCRIPTURE FOR THE WEEK: 2 Cor. 5:14 “For the love of Christ compels us…”
1. The Message. A test of motives – the challenge is love and thankfulness. 2 Cor. 5:14 & 1 Cor. 9:16
Questions: 1. What compels you? 2. Who compels you? 3. What is the driving force? 4. Can you identify your motives? 5. Why do you do what you do? 6. Is the motive love? With or without a guilt feeling?
It must be love and thankfulness Prov. 16:2
2. Motive and attitude? John 3:16-17 challenges me Acts 20: 22-24 (Amp)
• Paul prosecuted the church (actually prosecuted Jesus). His Damascus road experience was a love experience and a turnabout!
• Luke 7:47 Big or small sinner – you need Jesus love blood to cleanse you. The motive must be love. Rom. 5:5 Jesus Godly love for humanity.
3. Love compels Paul to do 5 things:
1. Obedience to the Holy Spirit Acts 20: 22
• The compelling force of the Holy Spirit is a Godly responsibility, a Godly driving force, a loving driving force.
• Bound by the Holy Spirit – a strong responsibility – a loving responsibility. Col. 3: 23
• Questions: 1. What is the Holy Spirit calling you to do? 2. Are you passionate about obedience?
3. Does your flesh drive you? 4. Does the letter of the law drive you? The woman caught
in adultery John 8:7 Focus on the accusers. Satan is the accuser Rev. 12:10 Are you working with him?
2. The compulsion is a love compulsion Acts 20: 22 Paul knows what awaits him.
• Shadrach, Meschach en Abednego – refuse to bow to the king’s statue.
• The challenge? Bow or burn? The fear of the Lord will help you not to bow? Prov. 1:7
Are you bowing to something?
• Paul knows prison awaits him, but he did not consider his life precious to himself and he was not irreplaceable. Fire heated 7 times – 4 men in the fire. The Hebrew letter for 4 = Dalet – a door.
• Jesus is always the door to deliverance.
3. Circumstances must not control your life Phil. 4:12+13 Come out under your circumstances.
4. Love serves like Jesus did. Paul says I do not consider my life valuable to myself.
• I’m a servant. 2. I pour out my life. 3. I make time for others. 4. I find my gift and function in it. Matt. 10:39 Gal. 2:20.
5. Love compels me to do the will of God.
• Acts 20:24 Give your will over to the Holy Spirit daily.
• Matt. 21:28-32 2 boys. One says yes and does not go. The other says no and go.
NB: Things can be 1. Difficult 2. Very difficult 3. Extremely difficult, but the urge of love persists.
Jesus love, Nevil